• ½ cup (125 g) Clover Mooi River butter
• 200 ml sugar
• 50 ml golden syrup
• ½ cup (125 ml) cake flour
• 200 ml mixed peel
• 200 ml chopped glacé cherries
• 150 ml nibbed almonds
• 75 ml flaked almonds
• 100 g dark cooking chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 160 °C. Melt the butter, sugar and syrup together and bring to the boil.
Remove from heat and stir in flour, fruit and nuts.
Place teaspoonfuls of mixture on a lightly greased baking tray, leaving enough space for spreading, or spoon teaspoonfuls into a well-greased small muffin pan.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
2. Remove from the oven and smooth rough edges with a spatula.
When biscuits feel more firm, lift gently from tray and turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
Melt chocolate in a bowl over hot water and cool until slightly thickened. Spread base of cold biscuits with chocolate. When almost set, create a wavy effect in the chocolate using a fork. Keep refrigerated.
When using a muffin pan, press mixture evenly into the holes. The Florentines can be stored in the refrigerator with or without chocolate. Place in an airtight container with grease proof paper separating them.